Sunday, July 24, 2011

Successful Experiment

I've been running an idea around in my head for a while and finally gave it a shot.  I bought a new bead loom almost a year ago and it was still in the box.  I put the loom together and warped it a little different than usual for a bead loom. 

I knew I wanted to make a bracelet so I started with a ladder stitch 12 cube beads long and 2 beads high for each end of the bracelet.  The length of the loom is 7" so that is just about the right size for a bracelet.  I attached the ladder stitched ends to the loom.  By doing the ends like this I didn't have a bunch of warp thread to deal with when I was finished. 

I warped the loom with a very long piece of 8 pound smoke fire line.  I attached the line to the loom in the usual way by attaching it to the body of the loom.  With a #12 needle on one end of the line I ran the line through the first row of cube beads.  Then I broke out the container of mixed beads that has grown with every project I've done in the past.


I strung random beads on the line until it was long enough to attach to the other set of ladder stitched cube beads.  I ran the line through the corresponding set of cube beads on the far end of the loom.  I tied a knot around the line running through the cube beads and ran it back down through the next set of cubes.  Again I strung random beads until I reached the other end, knotting each time and pulling the line snug.  That was repeated until I had a line for each set of 2 cubes.



Since I started with a very long length of line I knotted the line next to the last set of cube beads and was able to continue stringing beads for the weft of the loom.  This time I used only seed beads on the line and kept stringing beads until I had enough to go back and forth across the bracelet several times.  Instead of the usual beaded loom work of beads fitted between each line I decided to weave over and under the warp line like I was weaving material.



I worked each weft line as close to previous row as I could.  The warp lines had big, little and tube beads that made the texture very random.  I really like the look of the weave.


Once I finished the weaving I cut the cube beads loose from the loom.  Goofed a little there and managed to cut a couple of the warp lines.  Had to do a quick repair and restring a few beads and tie them off.

I hadn't really thought this all the way through since it was an experiment.  It was time to figure out the clasp.  The first clasp I tried was sterling silver wire worked through the last two cubes on both sides of the bracelet.  To anchor them I made a swirl on the ends and wire wrapped the wires together for strength.  The clasp was a piece of hammered sterling bent into a hook.  I hated it when it was finished. 



The "well duh" moment came when I walked away for a while.  Time to fall back on the very versatile peyote stitch.  On one end of the bracelet I attached seed beads two at a time across the end of the cubes by running the line back and forth through the cubes.  From there I worked in peyote stitch to make a tab with an opening for a button.  On the other end of the bracelet I again attached beads and stitched a plain tab.  I ran the line back through the beads on the tab for strength and attached a button I found in my button stash that is almost as bad as my bead stash.  Viola!!!! A closure I liked.



The whole thing took about 18 hours including the repairs and sterling clasp and replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment