Thursday, January 6, 2011

Shrine

For anyone that has been to my house you know that we are a little strange.  You could say we have a somewhat warped sense of humor.   With that in mind you wouldn't be surprised to see my husband's shrine in our downstairs bathroom.

It's just one of those things that started as being silly with one simple item and grew from there.  He has a fondness for Sacred Hearts and Day Of the Dead stuff.  Besides the things he's bought, friends have also given gifts to add to the shrine.  Now I'm adding to his shrine with a beaded picture frame.

 I started with a simple plain pine frame and painted it flat grey to seal the surface and provide a good bond for the glue.
 

I'm using contact glue to attach the beads and can only work for short periods without getting a headache from the smell.  I started by wiring a turquoise skull to the bottom of a primitive glass cross and a small, pink, carved, coral rose to the top of the cross.  That was glued to the top center of the frame.  Then I glued on various bits and pieces of colorful glass chunks to the bottom of the frame.  There was no pattern in mind, I just stuck on what fit.  That was all I could do the first day.


Tonight I started by gluing on a couple more crosses and then strings of beads.  I'm using heavy toothpicks to push the beads into place so I don't get so much glue on my fingers.  Still stuck my fingers to it but it could have been worse.  Didn't get too far with it before having to leave the basement and get away from the glue.   Gluing on the beads means my nose is really close to the work and the smell is really strong.



Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment