Friday, September 17, 2010

Beginning the Glenda the Good Witch Costume

I've been sewing since I was a child.  When I grew up and had children of my own, I sewed a lot of their cloths.  My favorite thing to make was costumes.  We had costumes of a skunk, dragons, Indians, rabbits, dead guys, ninjas and a California raisin.  My children are grown and now have children of their own.  Once again I have more costumes to make.  This year's request, from my 6 year old granddaughter, was for Glenda the Good Witch.  If you don't know or remember what Glenda wore, Google her, it's a very impressive dress.  I won't go quite that elaborate but I don't think my granddaughter will be disappointed.

The first step of the process was to lay out a pattern.  The fun thing about costume sewing is making it up as you go.  The bodice of the dress will be fitted and have long sleeves.  It will close in the back with Velcro so she can handle it by herself.   The skirt will be extra full.  When the satin layer is finished a layer of decorated tulle will be added.  There is also the wand and crown to make.  This will be lots of fun.

This evening I got a good, but late, start.  First there was the pattern lay-out.



Next I spread out the pink "satin" material and got ready to cut.


The bodice is assembled and beaded lace is attached to the neckline.  The next step will be in-setting the sleaves.


I'm not showing the skirt because at this time it's just a straight piece of material.  A lot of material, that will be gathered into a very full skirt.  Gathering the skirt and attaching it to the bodice is for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment