Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cut, Color & Paste

This has been a very productive weekend on the Glenda project.  Lots of cutting, painting and gluing and I can finally see the light at the end of the rainbow.  I was hopping to get it all finished this weekend but it's kind of like a home improvement project that just keeps getting bigger and bigger.


There wasn't a whole lot of progress on Saturday but I did get glitter glue dots on the bodice. 


And the pattern laid out for the crown.


And the crown cut out. 

Then a regular Saturday of getting groceries and stuff intruded.

I have had most of Sunday to get more done.


I put balloons in the sleeve caps so I could get the glitter stars on without getting them on the rest of the dress.  This time I used Extreme Glitter Paint instead of glue.  Wish I had found out about that stuff before I started the dress.  It's a lot easier to use and dries a lot quicker than glitter glue.





 I used white paper covered floral wires in bundles of 5 to make supports for each point of the crown.  I spiraled the tops and bottoms of the wires and glued the full length of the bundle to the crown with supper tacky fabric glue.  The wires had to be weighted down to make sure they stuck and didn't curl away from the material.   The fabric glue dries very fast so I didn't have to wait too long to work on the decorations.  Again I used the glitter paint, instead of glue, and painted each bundle of wires and made small glitter dots on the body of the crown. 

When I had all but the seam finished and dried I overlapped and glued the seam and glued on the final bundle of spiraled wires.  They are now sitting under the weights and I will paint them next time I get to work in the basement.


The star for the top of the wand is made from polymer clay.  I sanded the star with wet sand paper and baked it again to make sure it was dry.  Then I painted the edges with the glitter paint and sealed the front with glossy polymer glaze.  Once that dried I used glitter glue to attach big, red, glass "jewels".  I'll do the same to the back of the star once this dries.

The handle of the wand is a dowel rod that I tried to cover with silver leaf but that didn't work.  I sanded all that off, used a rasp to shape the top of the dowel to fit into the star and painted the dowel with gray paint.  When the gray paint dried I painted it again with glitter paint.

Not much more to go now.  I can hardly wait to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment